Dedicated Criminal Defense Attorneys in Marietta, GA Fight for Accused Clients
High-quality legal representation throughout the Atlanta metro area
If you have been arrested for a felony or misdemeanor in the Atlanta metro area, you face aggressive prosecution and stiff penalties if convicted. Considering the possible consequences, it’s easy to despair and to make a decision against your interest that will haunt you well into the future. Before you do anything that might compromise your case or surrender your rights, speak to an experienced attorney at the Law Offices of Melvin S. Nash. Since 1992, our firm has defended accused clients with honesty and candor, protected their rights, and fought aggressively for their liberty. Drawing on more than 40 years of legal experience, including 25 years as a prosecutor and judge, Melvin Nash focuses on delivering the best outcome possible for your criminal case.
Aggressive protection of your constitutional rights in the Marietta area
You’ve probably heard detectives on TV recite the Miranda warning so many times you know your constitutional rights by heart:
“You have the right to remain silent. If you give up the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for you.”
Unfortunately, when people face the pressure of an arrest, too many fail to assert their rights, compromising other rights they may not be aware of, such as:
- The right to be charged or released
- The right to confront witnesses against you
- The right to call witnesses in your defense
- The right to reasonable bail
- The right to cut off questioning at any time
- The right to have evidence excluded if it came as the result of an illegal search
However, when you retain our services, we assert your rights firmly. We make sure you get every advantage of the protections guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution and the laws of Georgia.
Vast experience defending a variety of criminal charges
Our experienced defense attorneys handle a wide variety of charges, ranging from traffic violations and DUI/DWI to domestic violence and homicide. In Georgia, serious crimes fall into the following categories:
- Misdemeanor — These less serious offenses carry a maximum fine of $1,000, incarceration in a county jail for up to 12 months, or both. Under certain circumstances, an offender’s confinement could take place in state prison for six to 12 months. Simple assault and simple battery are misdemeanors in Georgia.
- Misdemeanors of a high and aggravated nature — These offenses are punishable by a maximum fine of $5,000 and incarceration up to 12 months in county jail. An assault on a person age 65 or over is aggravated.
- Felony — Georgia does not assign various felonies to classes, but assigns penalties on a crime-by-crime basis. Felony prison terms start at one year and can run as high as life without parole. The death penalty is permitted for murder. Violent felonies, such as kidnapping and armed robbery, call for a minimum sentence of 10 years running to 25 years. Rape can be punished with a sentence of 25 years to life. Nonviolent theft crimes, referred to generally as white collar crime, can draw less severe punishments, depending on the value of the property stolen.
No matter what offense you are accused of committing, our goal is to minimize the consequences of your arrest. We accomplish this by taking decisive steps as soon as you retain our services:
- End all questioning
- Confer with prosecutors about an immediate dismissal or reduction in charges
- Pursue your release on bail
- Thoroughly investigate the case
- Provide a candid assessment of the case against you
- Present a strategy for fighting the charges or negotiating a plea that limits the consequences
Our knowledge, experience and skill have enabled us to deliver consistently positive results for our clients, and we are prepared to fight for your best possible outcome.
Contact a highly professional criminal defense attorney serving Marietta and metro Atlanta
If you are arrested anywhere in Cobb County, the Law Offices of Melvin S. Nash is ready to provide an aggressive defense to the charges against you. For a candid assessment of your case and determined advocacy throughout the legal process, call 770.422.0878 or contact our office online to schedule a free initial consultation. We have six locations throughout metro Atlanta to serve your needs.